Job Title: Senior Surveyor/Associate Director – Retail & Mixed Use, Property Management
Location: St Martin’s Court, St Pauls, London
About CBRE and the Team:
CBRE Group, Inc. is the world’s largest commercial real estate services and investment firm. We have been named one of Fortune’s “Most Admired Companies” for seven years in a row, including being ranked number one in the real estate sector in 2020.
Property Management is one of CBRE’s key service lines. Led by David Fogarty, the business currently employs circa 500 people within the UK.
CBRE enables its clients to focus on its core business by managing their real estate with total efficiency and with the aim of maximising its value. CBRE’s investment in both people and technology has created a state-of-the-art property management service, ironing out inefficiencies and adding value all the time.
The Retail & Mixed-Use team are responsible for the management of three of top 20 shopping centres including:
• Manchester Arndale
• Centre MK, Milton Keynes
• The Mall, Cribbs Causeway
Some notable clients include:
• M&G Real Estate
• CBRE Global Investors
• U&I (Development Securities)
- To be part of the Retail/Mixed Use Property Management Team in a client focused role ensuring accurate and timely delivery of service and achievement of Key Performance Indicators within the department.
- Acting for one of our top fee earning clients, this is an exciting and demanding role for a commercially minded and highly professional individual. You will be part of an exceptional portfolio in the heart of London’s West End, focused around Carnaby in a true mixed-use environment. Delivering high performing property management and working in partnership with the client to deliver our core services and provide excellent working partnerships with the on-site FM teams, finance teams and other business lines. We offer the following opportunities:
- To work closely with the existing team to ensure all works/activities pertaining to the management agreement are carried out to agreed timescales/deadlines, ensuring all agreed expectations are upheld.
- Interesting and varied work
- Management of a prime West-End destination and a key client relationship
- Responsibility for assisting with the co-ordination of the client instruction
- Managing and mentoring talented support surveyors within the team
- Structured training and career progression
- Great internal support network
- Ensure successful rent demands are raised accurately and on time
- Ensure credit control targets are met for rent and service charge collections, working closely with Property Management Accounts and credit control teams to achieve and surpass collections rates in line with agreed KPIs.
- Ensure client reports are prepared to the correct specifications and issued to clients in accordance with agreed timescales
- Lead in client meetings, presenting confidently and providing succinct and clear recommendations both verbally and in writing
- Responsibility for all day to day property management to ensure full compliance with all statutory liabilities, including the carrying out of property inspections and the accurate maintenance of the property data base system
- Responsibility for compliance, taking action or escalating any issues relating to non-compliance
- Responsibility for ensuring that all necessary insurance valuations are undertaken, providing accurate insurance data to broker for renewal and ensuring that all insurance premiums are recharged to tenants
- Responsibility for the accurate forecasting, management, reporting and billing of all turnover rents, working closely with site-based finance team and Property Management Accounts teams to manage effectively.
- Responsibility for the preparation, processing and issuing of service charge budgets and reconciliations within client KPI’s and RICS guidelines, monitor actual v budget costs through the year and liaise with finance colleagues to ensure funds are available.
- Deal with all service charge queries from tenants. Maintain Service charge apportionment schedule and advise client on any appropriate alterations
- Responsibility for facilitating and managing from end to end landlord projects.
- Responsibility for managing all dilapidation issues and processes
- Responsibility for managing all elements of the vacant unit strategy, including a good working knowledge of compliance issues, and EPC’s
- Responsibility for all aspects of rating including rates mitigation initiatives, instructing rating consultants and monitoring rating liabilities.
- As required by the client from time to time, undertake letting, lease renewal and rent review negotiations and generally assist the client in all transactional matters including facilitating landlord works for lettings, assisting with CPSE enquiries and attending weekly legal calls.
- Responsibility for managing all tenant applications and taking appropriate action in response to any legal notice in accordance with lease obligations, statutory obligations and any other legal documentation in existence.
- Ensure that tenant application invoices are raised and paid promptly
- Raise management fees and monitor ad hoc fee raising and collecting.
- Responsibility for identifying and escalating any areas of risk or improvements to ensure efficient management of the instruction. Ensure all void or aged debt is managed and proactively, working closely with Property Management Accounts to achieve this.
- Engage with the management and running of the client Portal, in conjunction with the FM team, and work with the software developer to ensure the Portal is delivering in line with client expectations.
- Overseeing the collection of all Turnover Data and calculation of Turnover Rents and reporting to client on a regular basis.
- RICS qualified (non-essential) with a minimum of 3-5 years’ property management work experience in the UK market, with excellent experience of retail and mixed-use assets
- Excellent commercial acumen
- Ability to build strong and effective relationships with the client, team, occupiers and other stakeholders
- Able to actively lead on marketing strategy and implementation
- Apply the principles of service charge management to ensure compliance with all regulatory and procedural requirements including the terms of the lease
- Understand and apply all CBRE procedures relating to work activities
- Understand the principles of lease structure and apply that understanding to all areas of management of the asset
- Understand VAT, banking and credit control methods
- Be able to apply legal principles of tenant applications for consent and the processes to be followed
- Understand and use proficiently industry / CBRE specific IT applications
- Able to delegate, supervise and develop junior team members
- Ability to coordinate and manage tasks across various internal and external teams
- Constantly updating knowledge of legislation and other current issues relating to retail property management
- Understand and grow knowledge of the clients’ investment objectives
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with other parts of the wider CBRE service lines, identifying where there are opportunities for cross-selling
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritise and co-ordinate tasks efficiently ensuring all deadlines are met
- Maintains a positive attitude towards routine tasks
- Ability to manage across all levels, both up and down
- Accurate and exceptional attention to detail
- Pro-active and enjoys working autonomously and as part of a wider team
- Confident and assertive where required
- Sociable and outgoing
- Flexible approach to work
- Understands and appreciates the importance of using discretion
- Team player who deals effectively with colleagues and clients