CBRE Group, Inc. is the world’s largest commercial real estate services and investment firm, with 2019 revenues of $23.9 billion and more than 100,000 employees (excluding affiliate offices). CBRE has been included on the Fortune 500 since 2008, ranking #128 in 2020. It also has been voted the industry’s top brand by the Lipsey Company for 19 consecutive years and has been named one of Fortune’s “Most Admired Companies” for eight years in a row, including being ranked number one in the real estate sector in 2020, for the second consecutive year.
CBRE offers a range of integrated services, including facilities, transaction and project management; property management; investment management; appraisal and valuation; property leasing; strategic consulting; property sales; mortgage services and development services.
In central London, CBRE advises on more commercial property than any other adviser and across the United Kingdom with offices in Aberdeen, Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, and Southampton.
Job Title: Head of Sustainable Finance – Director
Set-up, lead and manage an Environmental Social and Governance (“ESG”) finance capability within CBRE Capital Advisors. Responsible for integrating ESG across the department as well as business development, quality assurance, training and marketing. We define this as covering both the integration of ESG considerations into 'mainstream' investment and lending decisions, as well as products with specific environmental or social aims.
• Provide expertise on sustainable finance specific to the built environment;
• Build ESG knowledge and capacity within the Capital Advisors function;
• Partner with the teams across Capital Advisors to help them integrate ESG into their existing businesses and develop new products;
• This will encompass our investment arm (including lending and direct investment), loan servicing and our corporate finance group (including debt advisory, equity raising and corporate advisory activity); and
• Lead the Capital Advisory department to a market leading position and innovator on this topic.
• Specific initiatives include enhancing the firm’s Impact debt fund and lending platform, support the growth of loan servicing into ESG reporting, develop green lending advisory services and ESG complaint capital raising amongst others.
• Develop and integrate an ESG finance framework, to allow the integration of ESG into all loans, investments and advisory services;
• Represent Capital Advisors on company-wide ESG Working group and overseas departmental training in ESG principles; and
• Oversee, and quality assure, the collection and analysis of data and develop best practice systems and standards.
• Working with teams on new business pitches and client meetings with institutions, pension funds, propcos, banks, impact funds, local authorities and councils;
• Provide thought leadership and generate research outputs on sustainable finance that provide insights for internal and external stakeholders;
• Continue to evolve and innovate processes, products and services to drive efficiencies and effectiveness, and to stay abreast of legislative and market developments; and
• Support the delivery of wider Environmental Consultancy initiatives across Client portfolios, including working with subject matter leads in delivering programs relating to specific sustainability themes such as due diligence, energy management and social / health impact, as well as assisting in the implementation of a sustainability strategy into the UK and Irish business.
• Experience of key ESG issues affecting businesses, as well as reporting and disclosure and associated key performance indicators (e.g. GRESB, EPRA, TCFD, SFDR, EU Taxonomy etc.)
• Experience of key sustainability tool / methodologies (e.g. LEED, BREEAM, nZEB, WELL Building Standard etc.)
• Excellent communication and presentation skills, strong attention to detail
• Ability to foster and maintain collaborative relationships across department, geographies and Clients
• Flexible mindset for a new role, we need a self-starter!
Desirable Knowledge and Skills
• Experience of applying sustainable finance principles, mechanisms, and rating methodologies in the built environment including but not limited to green and sustainability linked loans and credit facilities, and green bonds
• Expertise in statistical analysis, geospatial data analysis and knowledge of open data
• Ability to understand and analyse information to be able to recommend informed solutions to problems
• Experience of operating in a complex, commercial environment
• Able to influence third parties to achieve desired sustainability outcomes
• Candidates should have an appropriate degree and post graduate qualification plus around 8 years’ experience within the sustainability sector. Candidates will be supported in working towards Chartership with an appropriate institution where this is not already held.
We are an equal opportunities employer and do not discriminate on the grounds of gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, gender reassignment, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, disability or age.