As one of the world’s leading real asset investment managers, we offer our more than 500 institutional clients across the globe access to our broad and deep platform to support their investments in real estate and infrastructure in the Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific. CBRE Global Investors currently has $105 billion in assets under management.
Our expertise ranges across investment solutions including equity and debt, direct and indirect, and listed and unlisted strategies. With a footprint of 32 offices in 22 countries, we can provide in-depth local market intelligence, proprietary research and active management to execute strategies many sectors and across the risk/return spectrum.
CBRE Group, Inc. in 2019 acquired Laxfield Capital, a real estate debt investment business with approximately GBP 818 million of assets under management in the United Kingdom. Laxfield Capital operates as part of the EMEA platform of CBRE Global Investors, CBRE’s real assets investment management business and is now called the CBRE Global Investors EMEA Credit Strategies Team.
We are looking for an Analyst to work in the Investments team within CBRE Global Investors’ Debt Investments business.
The team is responsible for making new loans secured on properties in the UK. It manages an existing fund with c.£1bn of total lending capacity which makes loans in sizes of £10-150m. The wider business strategy is to raise new funds for deployment into loans secured on properties in the UK and Europe, over time the successful candidate will be expected to work across a number of different lending strategies and geographies.
The ideal candidate will have the following attributes:
- minimum of 18 ’ commercial real estate lending experience at a debt fund / top-tier alternative lender / banking organisation.
- Strong applicants with experience of direct real estate investment (rather than lending) will also be considered.
- Applicants with transactional or operational experience in the primary CRE sectors (office, industrial and retail) as well as alternative (student accommodation, leisure, PRS, data centres etc) are preferred.
- Experience of value-add / development lending or investing is preferred but not essential.
- Strong analytical skills with an ability to review investment opportunities and make informed lending decisions.
- Ability to quickly undertake desk-based research to assist in the screening and underwriting of new opportunities.
- The successful candidate will be working within a team which requires high standards and good attention to detail
- Fluency with key real estate metrics (initial, reversionary and equivalent yields, capital values, gross to net leakage) and financial mathematics (primarily NPV and IRR) and the interaction between them in real estate investment and lending.
- Working knowledge of UK real estate lending practices and LMA documentation preferred.
- Strong Excel financial modelling skills and wider IT capability is a pre-requisite.
- Exceptional written English – capable of writing high quality internal reports and Investment Committee papers in a concise and professional manner.
- Extremely high attention to detail is a must.
- Strong sense of responsibility, and an ability to judge where it is necessary to seek guidance or take decisions.
- Recording and aggregating new lending opportunity pipelines for the team and investor clients.
- Supporting the assessment of new lending opportunities to determine viability, which will often involve financial modelling and interpretation of market data to inform investment decisions.
- Assisting with IRR, performance and track record reporting to the team and investor clients.
- Assisting with capital raising presentation and research materials
- Monitoring and tracking of lending market activity and transactions identified by the team ans yourself such that it is a team resource and one which can be used for marketing to investors / underwriting
- Support senior team members’ new deal origination efforts.
- Learning about and supporting the preparation of detailed internal memos and Investment Committee papers.
- Learning about and supporting the preparation of detailed term sheets and similar borrower documentation.
- Supporting execution of new loans in conjunction with the team and external legal counsel.
- Supporting due diligence reviews (e.g. valuation, building survey etc.) in relation to new loans.
- Conducting sectoral / thematic research to inform new investment theses.
- Handover of new loans to the Loan Management team, with some ongoing input into loan management matters likely to be required for all closed transactions.